Why is it that whenever you actually have a bit of time to write, you can’t think of anything to write about? All day long I get these random thoughts and ideas for things I want to get on paper, but then, I stand at my computer, and…blankness. I stare at my nails, contemplating removing the polish. I think about doing homework. I think about sleeping. I think about doing dishes. I think about doing anything but staring at a blank computer screen. So I just start typing and see what comes out.
I haven’t written for TWO weeks! It’s not because I’ve been lazy, I swears! I went to Florida for 6 days for work. While on the trip I got to go to the Magic Kingdom. It was an interesting experience, and I’m glad did it once, but once is enough! The older I get and the better I get to know myself, the more I realize that waiting in line for a train to take you to a park where you can wait in line to get in, where you can wait in line to sit in a car and look at electronic creations move and sing and dance is not really my cup of tea. For the time and money, I would much rather be walking, hiking, biking, or lazing in some natural space with trees or oceans or mountains. But, again, I’m glad I’ve done it once so I won’t always wonder, “how much better would my life be right now if I had gone to The Magic Kingdom?” Now I know.
I’ve also started the edX Science of Happiness class. It’s a very interesting class and very well done. I’ve already learned tons of good stuff :
- Happiness is found in freedom from desire (Stoicism, anyone?).
- The pursuit of happiness can entail struggle, sacrifice and pain. In fact those experiences are necessary to be happy. Yin and yang.
- The more positive experiences you have, the more open you are – you physically SEE more things. You see the bigger picture and are more creative. Happiness biologically changes you.
- If you think happy thoughts before a test you do better on the test.
- People replace 1% of their cells each day. Every 3 months we replace 100% of our cells. It takes about 3 months to form a new habit. ????
- We get used to things that make us happy (hedonistic adaptation). My MacBook will not keep me happy forever. :(
- Sources of happiness: exercise, sleep, sense of achievement, social connection & kindness (aka I need more good friends).
- Touch is super important to happiness and health. Our culture deprives us of this. I need to move to Puerto Rico.
- Behaviors that indicate divorce: contempt, criticism, stonewalling, defensiveness.
- Behaviors that help relationships: humor, gratitude, forgiveness, disclosure (accept the emotions of others instead of pushing back).
And that’s just from the 1st two weeks. I’m already a week behind and not likely to catch up anytime soon. I’m not going to sweat it, though. I will learn what I will learn. It’s a fantastic, very interesting class though. It should be required learning for every human being. :)
Yoga is going well too. I signed up for a 30 day yoga challenge at http://www.DoYouYoga.com. It helps me do a little bit of yoga every day (10-15 minutes). Plus, the instructor, Erin, is super fun and pretty. Pretty people keep you coming back! I’ve also been to several classes at Indigo Wellness with several different teachers. It’s very interesting to see all the different teaching styles. I read somewhere (probably on http://www.mindbodygreen.com or http://www.doyouyoga.com) that you should write after every yoga class to help you get more out of it. I’ve yet to do that – always in a rush to get home, I guess. But I see the value in it. At each class I learn something, whether it be a new pose, or a style/method I liked or didn’t like. Writing these impressions would help me remember them.
And on to the final topic I usually cover in my posts – food. I ate a bunch and drank a bunch in Florida that I should not have eaten or drunken. I’m trying to get back on track this week. I tried this new recipe: Sweet Potato & Leek Omelet. I have bad, bad luck with omelets, so I made this into a scramble and served it with bacon and kale chips for supper. It was deeeeeelicious. I’ll definitely make this again.
And that’s my update for now. Sorry it’s a little incoherent and scattered, but that’s life right now! Hope you are having a fabulous day!!